Tel : 01487 773555 • Fax : 01487 773545 • Email: admin@arfco.co.uk

Other Businesses
on our Estate

Other Tenants

Abbots Ripton Farming Company (ARFCO)

History

The village of “Riptune” was recorded in the Domesday Survey of 1086.The word “Riptune” is derived from early Saxon meaning “wood”, “woodland” or “adjacent to woodland”. It came within the ownership of Ramsey Abbey which was founded in 969 A.D. and at the time of the Domesday held nearly three quarters of the land in Huntingdonshire. It also recorded the existence of a church and priest though the present building dates from the 12th & 13th centuries. Ripton and Wennington (or Winnington as it was then known) were originally granted to the monastery by Earl Alfwold, brother of Aylwin, the founder of Ramsey Abbey, and they were confirmed in the possessions of the Abbey in King Edgar’s Charter of 974 A.D.

In the 12th century Abbots Ripton became known as Magna Ripton and Riptona Abbatis. Whilst following the dissolution of the monasteries it was known as St. John’s Ripton after the family who became Lords of the Manor. Abbots Ripton was held by the Abbot of Ramsey at the time of the Domesday Book and on the site of the building now known as Abbots Ripton Hall, was a monastery where monks established substantial arable and stock farms and fisheries. Many of the original fields that are farmed today by The Abbots Ripton Estate are identifiable from a 1623 vellum map found under the organ in the church and many use the same names.

The Abbot's Elm is the name of the village pub. With origins dating from the 17th Century, it is a Grade II Listed building but was substantially damaged by fire in 2009 and reopened in 2012.